24 inputs and 8 stereo bus outputs
Create multiple mixes from a variety of inputs, including 8 channels of high-quality balanced (TRS) analog, 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical, 32 channels of audio streamed from other MOTU interfaces on a connected AVB audio network (if present), and host software audio channels coming from the computer over USB or AVB Ethernet.
Eight stereo output groups with comprehensive connectivity
All of these inputs can be mixed to eight stereo output groups: Main, Aux and monitor groups A thru F. XLR Main Outs and balanced quarter-inch Aux Outs can feed primary and secondary studio monitors or PA speakers. Users can then set up six additional, independent monitor groups, each with multiple mirrored outputs that include two sets of 1/4-inch headphone outs (front and rear panel), a summed 1/4-inch mono output, and, on groups A-D, balanced stereo quarter-inch outs. All told, monitor mixes can be sent to twelve sets of headphones, six stage monitors, four stereo in-ear modules (or other stereo line level destinations) and two sets of powered speakers.
Monitor 8 operates without a computer as a stand-alone mixer and headphone amp, but it can also function as a universally compatible AVB or USB 2.0 audio interface that is USB 3.0 and iOS compatible.
Powerful DSP delivers large console style mixing with 48 channels, 12 stereo busses, and 32-bit floating point effects processing, including modeled analog EQ, vintage compression and classic reverb. For stand-alone mixing, users can control Monitor 8 over Wi-Fi from web app software running in their favorite web browser on an iPad™, iPhone™, tablet, smart phone, and laptop — or several devices simultaneously for multi-user control of the Monitor 8's multiple mix busses.
Users can mix and match Monitor 8 with MOTU's other AVB interfaces, with their complementary I/O configurations, to build a customized, state-of-the-art AVB audio network system.
Monitor 8 feature highlights
- Three products in one — 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amp and USB/AVB audio interface.
- Exceptional audio quality — Employs the same award-winning analog design as MOTU's groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A audio interfaces. The balanced, DC-coupled analog outputs produce measured performance of 123 dB dynamic range (A-weighted) and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- 24 inputs and 8 stereo bus outputs — Mix 24 physical inputs, multi-channel computer audio, and 32 AVB audio network channels to eight stereo bus outputs (Main, Aux, and monitor groups A thru F). Inputs include 8 channels of balanced (TRS) analog and 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical.
- Six monitor groups with flexible outputs — Each group provides multiple mirrored outputs, including 2x 1/4-inch phones (front and rear panel), summed 1/4-inch mono out for stage monitors, and, for groups A-D, balanced stereo 1/4-inch outs, which can be fed to in-ear monitoring systems or other stereo destinations.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to a computer with standard AVB Ethernet or audio class compliant high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and iOS). Discovery app and web app software works alongside any host audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing — DSP-driven mixing and effects engine delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
- Modeled vintage effects processing — Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
- System expansion — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M, 16A, 24Ai or 24Ao) with a simple CAT-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately).
- AVB audio networking — Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (100 meters point to point). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Flexible matrix routing and splitting — Send any input to any output, or multiple outputs. Includes routing to and from the computer, plus any devices on the AVB network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the Monitor 8 with a standard Ethernet cable and control the Monitor 8's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live show monitormixing.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Comprehensive metering — The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.
- AudioDesk — Includes AudioDesk workstation software for Mac and Windows with 24-bit recording, sample-accurate editing and 32-bit mixing and mastering.